Study Permits

International Students

Study permits are required for a foreign national to study at a designated learning institution (DLIs) in Canada. These DLI schools have been approved by their provinces or territory to enroll international students.  

All primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs and there is a list of the post-secondary schools, such as colleges and universities, and language schools that have been designated. The graphs below provide information on the number of study permits issued since 2015, the number of study permits issued by level of study, by gender and by province or territory.

For more information on when a study permit is required please visit the IRCC website.

International students and information on the granting of study permits.